Get Ready for the Interview
You will meet with a USCIS officer who will ask you questions. This is called the interview or test.
- The officer will ask you about your personal history and your application. Your answers will show if you know basic English and U.S. civics.
- The officer may also ask you about alcohol, prostitution, or gambling. Be polite. Stay calm. Answer truthfully.
How to Prepare
- Review your application before the interview,
- Look for online resources to study and practice,
- Download our free Citizenshipworks app, and
- Connect with our partner organizations if you need more help to prepare for the test.
What's on the Test ?
- U.S. Civics: There will be 10 questions, and you must get 6 correct answers to pass.
- English: Unless you qualify to take the test in a different language, the officer will ask you to read and write an English sentence. Your answers and conversation with the officer will show if you can speak basic English.
- Citizenshipworks Mobile App
- Practice for the test with interactive flash cards for U.S. Civics and basic English. Available for iOS or Android phones.
- USCIS Citizenship Resource Center - Study Materials for the Civics Test
- Flash cards, word lists, and practice tests for basic English
- Study materials and practice tests for U.S. Civics
- Citizenship classes at an organization near you
- Download study materials for all of the civics and history questions, and take interactive practice tests.
- USCIS Citizenship Resource Center - Find Help In Your Community
- Find an organization near you that offers citizenship classes.